Friday, July 23, 2010

Bellarific Friday - Peace Out!

This week's Bellarific Friday challenge was to use a Stella or a Bella on your card. I had colored up this Bella about two weeks ago and she just laid around my desk until Saturday when I gave her a place on a card. I knew I wanted to 'attempt' a tie-dye background for the card. And it took a lot of practice and a bunch of test runs ending up in the circular file - but here is what I came up with:
I had to Google 'tie dye' because I really didn't have an image in my mind of what it looked like.  I tried to do the swirl tie dye, but was unsuccessful. In the end, I just drew circles of 5 different Marvy marker colors onto watercolor paper then spritzed with a lot of water. I let the colors bleed into each other, then heat set it too. I spritz some perfect pearls over the final result to give it a sheen too. 

Bella is colored with prisma pencils and gamsol. I embossed an Inkadinkado 'peace' stamp and used my sizzlits for the "OUT".  I finished it with a Friskars border punch.  I'd love to try the tie dye again and hopefully get some better results. Anyone visiting have any tips if you've tried it?

Thanks for visiting!
Maria

8 comments:

Meg said...

This is far-out groovy, man! Love how your tie-dye looks! I wonder drawing concentric circles with the markers before you spritzed would give it more tie-dye-y look. I've never tried it before (on paper--I think we all had that one t-shirt we made at camp, right?), so I'm just thinking out loud here (or, um, typing on the internet publicly?). Stay cool, peace out, man.

Cheryl said...

I LOVE this! Great background!

jimlynn said...

Hey, Maria....I've never tried it - but you did a fabulous job with it!!! Looks like the real thing. Very cute card.
Lynn

Micah said...

Very nice!!

To get the tie die I probably would have used white cotten fabric and done a "real" tie die then glued the fabric onto a piece of card stock and trimmed the edges. But I have a sewing room full of scraps so totally easy for me. For someone without a sewing room it's easy to buy a bag of what they call "quilting squares" at the craft store, often easy to get a handful in plain white or cream cotton.

What you did looks great though, just offering another method since you asked :D

Katy Myhre said...

What a fun card! I love the colors!

Harriet Skelly said...

This is totally cool! I think your tie dye came out great!

Jenny said...

The is SSSOOOOO super cute! I love what you did with the background, it looks tie dyed to me =) Adore the sentiment! Great job!!

Patricia said...

That's some groovy tie-dye there! Great job coloring the image, too.

Related Posts with Thumbnails