Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year!!!!!!!!

Happy New Year to you!!!!!!!!  Hope you had a fun celebration last night!  We sure did!  Our friends, Jim & Nick hosted a small dinner party with delicious food, yummy drinks (Cafe Patron included) and great people!

They asked me to make place tags for the table settings.  They talked about a blue/white theme and maybe snowflakes.  So, originally, I was going to make tent cards, but as I looked through my 'hoard' - I decided to create something a little 'more'!  Here's what I came up with using these mesh boxes:




I punched out snowflakes from vellum, cardstock and blue shimmer paper and then layered them on top of each other - added a button and some gems.  I also glued on on the inside of the box to hid the glue.

I added Hershey's kisses to the inside.  For the names, I printed the names on my computer, cut them out with my Nesties oval scallop and added a gem.  There's another scallop behind the names and I stamped 2013 on it. I made 16 total!

I also saw this great countdown craft on the Fiskar's blog and wanted to recreate it:

This should of gone a lot easier than it did!  Originally I used my Sizzix die cuts for the numbers, but didn't like all the uniform sizes. (Ugh#1) So then I pulled out my Cricut from my drawer and cut out a variety of sizes.  But, even with the multi-cut button on - I still had trouble getting the #'s off the sheet cleanly. (Ugh#2).  I had to trim away the flaky paper. Then I wanted them to be 'glitterized' but also wanted to make sure it didn't flake off - so I used Mod Podge but it was quite messy still (Ugh#3) and it really didn't dry as cleanly or clearly as I wanted - I'll never know (Ugh#4).  I almost abandoned the whole project, but figured it would be kinda dark at their house AND no one was really going to inspect them AND they'd be thrown away the next day.......so just go forth!

Here they are on their mantle:


We had a really fun night and I stayed in bed until 10:00am - that's why this post is REALLY late!!!!

Hope you have a terrific 2013!!!!!

Thanks for your visit!

4 comments:

Karen B. said...

I have a lot of ugh moments too! Glad you did end up sharing your clever creation though, these turned out cute. And for your mesh boxes, wow! What a stunner, they are beautiful! Just returned from a two week out of state visit, so I hope to comment more often, sorry to have been absent. I hope you have a great 2013!

Elizabeth Allan said...

Maria you started 2013 with a creative bang!! These are great projects. The little mesh boxes are adorable with the coordinating snowflakes and the tasty treats nestled inside.

And the countdown numbers are fashionably cool. I would use them everyday to count down things because they are so awesome.

Great blogger header too!

Audrey Pettit said...

Sounds like you had a lovely New Year's Eve night! Those place setting treats you made are fabulous. Perfect frosty color scheme, and I love that you added some sweets to the containers. And I think your countdown numbers turned out great! Such a fun idea!

Cheryl said...

I like them. I think you are not giving yourself enough credit. (Although I hate when the idea in my head and the actuality are not the same.)

The snowflake boxes are also very sweet.

Related Posts with Thumbnails